[Gimp-web] Gimp 2.8 download

Please could someone out there give me some advice. Despite downloading gimp 2 from various websites, I have
the same problem in that the program won't recognise any common file extension for photos. The only extension
it recognises is the native XCF. I| have used earlier versions of gimp without this problem.

It's as though there are no plug-ins with the downloaded program. I'm not only experienced user, so I feel
out my depths. Please would you tell me where I can go to get some advice. My OS is Windows 7 on a 64-bit
machine.

Thank you

Steve