Re: [Gimp-web] Feedback

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 12:25 AM, Pat David wrote:
So I am hot and heavy on the redesign stuff for WGO right now.

Awesome!

I'd like to ask for some feedback from everyone on a couple of points.

1. Is the product vision (http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Vision_briefing)
still an accurate representation of the project to our core users?  To
reiterate, the points were:

A. High-end photo manipulation
B. Creating original art.
C. Production (graphical design elements)
D. Programming algorithms

Well, I keep hearing complaints that tasks relevant to desktop
publishing (strictly in terms of GIMP being a better companion to e.g.
Scribus) are not specifically mentioned in the product vision. Other
than that, it still seems valid.

2. I have a list of old URL's that I have been slowly working through to
port the old site over to the new infrastructure.  The problem is that much
of the old site seems out of date, scattered, and possibly deprecated.  I
plan on going through things and organizing it better (and hopefully
presenting it better as well).  For now, if anyone can have a look at the
list and provide some feedback about appropriateness (even just saying -
don't waste your time on these, definitely re-write those, and maybe
combine all of these...).
http://static.gimp.org/about/meta/file-list.html

Personally, I'm unsure whether we really, really need the splash
screens gallery.

http://www.gimp.org/announcements/open-usability-gimp.html is
something that needs to go to the News section, same as all news items
that are currently only accessible via admin interface.

http://www.gimp.org/bugs/why_bugzilla.html -- I guess there used to be
some controversy back then, otherwise someone wouldn't spend time
writing this, but I'm not sure if it's of value now.

bugzilla and submit-patch howtos should be somewhere in th Contribute
section of the new website or something.

http://www.gimp.org/contest/index.html isn't required anymore, IMO.

http://www.gimp.org/links/org.html is full of dead links. I'd say,
clean up and make it part of a sitemap page.

http://www.gimp.org/programmatic/admin/howto.html and other
programmatic pages are dead.

http://www.gimp.org/unix/howtos/tile_cache.html might need a technical
review from someone like mitch or pippin.

Alex