Re: [Gimp-web] Proposed gimp tutorial

Pat,

The conversion to compatible HTML went much faster than I imagined. It looks like getting everybody comfortable with the tutorial is going to be the longer part of the process.

I looked at the notes, if we need to make some changes we can, I would rather not make a lot of changes if they aren't really necessary though. Let me comment back about the notes, I am not sure what to do about them at this point.

1. 'the term "macro" in the tutorial' - Where in the tutorial was it a
   problem, and what was the suggested alternative?  The term seemed
   pretty descriptive and non-proprietary, so I don't know where the
   problem lies.  Part of the wikipedia description of macro is -
   "Macros are used to make a sequence of computing instructions
   available to the programmer as a single program statement, making
   the programming task less tedious and less error-prone."  I am not
   stuck on using the term but would need to know what a better
   suggestion would be.
2. 'have him look into the DIR-SEPARATOR constant' - Again I really
   don't know what problem we are try to fix, the suggestion isn't very
   specific. I would say that it is the usual case that you can write a
   more efficient program - 2nd version - using a 1st version as a
   working model. I would actually be kind of surprised if there
   weren't several places where reviewing the code and productizing it
   produced code that is better from an aesthetic and maintenance point
   of view. But, that is kind of missing the point:
     * This is an Automation Tutorial. The efficiency from being able
       to edit 20 images in the time that it takes to edit one by hand.
     * It is not a programming tutorial nor is a rolled out change to
       Gimp. As I pointed out in the text - I am not a programmer.  The
       gimp - python environment is not great for debugging and in the
       past it was not robust.  If the code is working I would not be
       inclined to mess with it.  You could waste a lot of time by
       trying to get too cute with 'enhancements'.
     * If there is a real desire to productize the automation tools, I
       would be happy to work on that effort, but I am not really that
       interested in beautifying working code for a tutorial.
3. I think all of the Gimp Documentation should move to a Wiki.  The
   biggest hole in the documentation is topics not being covered and
   coverage that is out of date.  Lowering the threshold for people to
   contribute would be a great way to address this.  A Wiki seems like
   it would allow for a larger amount of participation than the current
   method of converting things to HTML by hand.
     * My concern about moving the tutorial to a Wiki site, is whether
       it would get buried in a corner of the internet that no one can
       find.  I certainly have no idea where this wiki is.  It would be
       a shame to do the work of writing a tutorial and then put it
       where no one sees it.
     * I think a Wiki format is great in that it can be kept current
       and follow the changes of Gimp.  As I said, I think all of the
       documentation should be ported to a Wiki.

Anyway, if there are some specific things that need to be fixed, let me know and we can address them. I can be fairly flexible with changes, I just don't want to get into a loop - modifying code until someone like it. That has no real / specific goal.

If there is a documenation Wiki, let me know where to look, I would like to see what is there so far.

Thanks for all of your help!

Stephen