Re: [Gimp-web] GIMP Site Redesign

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 3:21 AM, Mike Finch wrote:
> Hey all,
> On the topic of redesign, I suggest GIMP goes in this direction:
>  http://1sixty.com/030412_GIMP_Homepage.png

OK, navigation, layout and suchlike.

- Screenshots should be part of Features page really.
- GIMP Dev should be a section of Get Involved.
- There's no search field. We don't have one right now either, but
it's a bad excuse :)
- I'm not sure that we really need duplicated calls to action (top
download button + three ones above the footer) all that much. The
download button is above the fold already, there's no need to
reinforce it.
- The layout grid needs fixing (or, rather, introducing?). Elements
are only partially aligned.

Odd amount of vertical elements below the fold is a bit, well, odd :)
Personally I would add a third promo subsection in place of the final
picture. If you start with "photo filters", then it'd be only logical
to cover other use cases such as digital painting. Web design would
nicely complement them. This is exactly where I see the need for a
specification prior to design activity.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org