[Gimp-user] Text outline and transparent fill

Hi!  I am learning how to make a multi-layered project consisting of four
images and a top layer of text that I will enter.

I want to use a font native to Gimp, at least 64 pt and I want to use a
solid color outline of the character with a transparent fill so the images
are clearly seen through the text.  I do not understand which Edge Detect
selection in the Filters Tools, if any, is the right one to use.  I went
there because I have used Drop Shadow and Neon before.

I have also consulted the Gimp User Manual online before writing to ask for
help.  I appreciate your pointing me in the right direction.

Many thanks!

--

*"It's so nice to know so many nice people."*

*---Eddie Gallaher (1914-2003)     Radio Personality, Washington, DC
1947-2000*