[Gimp-user] GIMP text editing help needed

Running gimp-2.8.18-x86_64-1_slack14.2 (on Slackware-14.2/x86_64).

I want to change the font sizes in the text in two layers over a background
image; the file format is .xcf. So I read Chapter 9 (Text Management) and
the text tool options in Section 5.6 online and both say that any change to
font size is immediately reflected on the layer. Not so here.

I changed one layer's text size from 24pt to 36pt and nothing happened. I
used both on-canvas and text editor approaches. Neither had a 'save' button
associated with it so making the changes did nothing.

All thoughts welcome!

Rich