Re: [Gimp-user] Violation of GNOME Code of Conduct - ablelist language and discrimination

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 11:26:41PM +0300, Cristian Secară wrote:
În data de Tue, 25 May 2021 11:19:43 -0700, Michael Richards via gimp-user-list a scris:

I formally request that the GIMP name be changed on the basis that it
violates the GNOME Code of Conduct.

I make this request, not to cause trouble but to stand up against
unintentional - but no less harmful - discrimination.

[...]

In what language stands the name as discrimination ? In my language (Romanian) the word "gimp" has no
meaning whatsoever. The only possible association is with the GNU Image Manipulation Program – and this
only for those who work with it or at least ever heard about it.

I wonder if in Italian or French or German etc. languages this word has any meaning except for the GIMP
program.

I can testify that in Italian (and Esperanto) the term GIMP is
meaningless except for the acronym "GNU Image Manipulation Program"...

--

Saluton,
Marco Ciampa