[Gimp-user] Any way to disable GIMP from touching EXIF data?

Using GIMP 2.10.22 on Xubuntu 20.04

Ever since EXIF handling was added to GIMP, it has
been mangling the data when saving an image file.
I reported this a long time ago and followed up with a
lot of detailed information which can be viewed here:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/-/issues/3490

There has been zero response to the bug report so,
at this point, I do not expect anything to be done in
the foreseeable future.  What I would like to do now
is disable all EXIF handling in GIMP.  I want it to
just save exactly what exists without any manipulation.

When I export a JPG file, the dialogue has check
boxes to save Exif, XMP and IPTC data.  If you
uncheck these, then the corresponding data is
deleted upon writing.  If you leave them checked then
the data is written but mangled as noted in my bug
report.

So, is there any way, short of recompiling the
program without EXIF support, to tell GIMP to just
read and write the data unmodified?

Thanks.