Re: [Gimp-user] Resizing

In addition to ImageMagick which can do all sorts of great stuff, to do this kind of thing we had to resort to writing a Perl program.

Our inputs are TIFFs and our outputs are JPEGs in four different pixel size-ranges. The output pixel size for some is fixed (i.e. for thumbnails) and for others is variable, but within a range, depending upon the input size.

On one hand it is "simple" when you describe it in words, along with a little hand-waving. However, trying to do it programatically is a bit messy.

Perl does have image handling modules that help a lot. (Disclaimer, I did not personally do any of the real work; I just did the talking and hand-waving.)

We have a library of many tens of thousands of source images as TIFFs. We keep them as TIFFs for ultra-long-term purposes, also for print-on-paper use, and don't want any compression, etc., etc. New source images are dropped into the library at will. A command is run several times per week, or as needed, which compares all the sources to all the targets and makes/remakes any new targets where targets do not yet exist or any source's timestamp is newer than the target.

It can be done.

Jay