[Gimp-user] Is image on path possible?

Hi,

I would like to place an image on a path.

The path I created as the form of a figure, take for example a '2".

The image to be placed on this path is a (one) musical staff, with text below the notes.

I know that text-on-path is possible (though I was not successful there: I posted a question on this list the 16th of December 2015.  Ofnuts answered I should stroke or fill the path, but these options where and are grayed out. Since it was a Christmas card, there was no time to get it done).

But it could well be that placing and image on a path is not possible,

Anyone who can enlighten me here?

regards, Jogchum