Re: [Gimp-user] Rescuing old color negatives

On Mon, 2021-04-19 at 21:09 -0400, Kevin Cozens wrote:
On 2021-04-19 6:05 p.m., Rick Kline wrote:
Here’s some info on Negative Darkroom that Kevin Cozens mentioned.
It’s more of an outline than a help article, but thought I’d share
nonetheless.

Just for the record, it was Alexandre Prokoudine that mentioned
Negative Darkroom.
He and i both, for what it's worth.

Thanks for the link. I will be having a look at that plug-in (if I
find it
is part of the version of GIMP I have built).

It's under  filters/generic/gegl operation.

I still have to scan
them all first so that is the first big job.
Scan a  very few, a mix of different types if possible, as you may end
up doing it differently with experience. For most photos, i use 16-bit
RGB at 1200dpi or higher; eventually you run into problems  with the
film grain.

It can also help to scan a photo card, and maybe to use green paper or
card behind (on top of) the prints when scanning, but this depends on
the paper used  for the prints.

It  *does* help to scan the border, if there is one, for white balance.

Liam (ankh)

Full-time slave in voluntary servitude