 * * ** *** ***** ******** ************* *********************
It’s better to wave at a stranger than to ignore a friend
 * * ** *** ***** ******** ************* *********************

On Apr 19, 2021, at 3:08 PM, Kevin Cozens <kevin ve3syb ca> wrote:

On 2021-04-19 7:24 a.m., William wrote:
I tried the invert function and it is not doing what I want to do.
I want to rescue old color negative 35mm film strips by inverting them to a color positive that I can
print on a color laser printer.
The negatives have an orange cast which inverts to monochrome blue.
Restoring old negatives involves more than just a colour inversion. The colour balance is likely to be off.
I have 400 colour slides to scan and restore that date back to the last 60s to mid-70's. I know the colour
balance is off as the red has faded over time. I don't yet know about any changes in brightness and
contrast.

One other (non-GIMP) approach to fixing slides that you may be able to adapt to negatives by adding a
colour inversion step can be found at:
 http://www.lionhouse.plus.com/

I haven't tried it yet but I'm thinking about it. It was mentioned in this mailing list some time ago.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.

http://www.ve3syb.ca/               | "Nerds make the shiny things that
https://www.patreon.com/KevinCozens | distract the mouth-breathers, and
                                   | that's why we're powerful"
Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172          |
#include <disclaimer/favourite>     |             --Chris Hardwick