You'll basically add a layer that is the color of the substrate, invert that layer, then do some adjusting of levels, etc. to make it work. It's not completely auto, but if you have to do it manually, that site shows you what to do, and he uses  GIMP to do it.

Good luck,

Guy

On 4/19/21 2:08 PM, Kevin Cozens wrote:
On 2021-04-19 7:24 a.m., William wrote:
I tried the invert function and it is not doing what I want to do.

I want to rescue old color negative 35mm film strips by inverting them to a color positive that I can print on a color laser printer.

The negatives have an orange cast which inverts to monochrome blue.
Restoring old negatives involves more than just a colour inversion. The colour balance is likely to be off. I have 400 colour slides to scan and restore that date back to the last 60s to mid-70's. I know the colour balance is off as the red has faded over time. I don't yet know about any changes in brightness and contrast.

One other (non-GIMP) approach to fixing slides that you may be able to adapt to negatives by adding a colour inversion step can be found at:
  http://www.lionhouse.plus.com/

I haven't tried it yet but I'm thinking about it. It was mentioned in this mailing list some time ago.

“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.”

― Aristotle