Re: [Gimp-user] Rescuing old color negatives

William,

I believe that you're dealing the "orange" color of the film substrate of the color negative film. A simple "invert" will not invert to a "normal" color positive. That orange color must be dealt with (as I'm sure is obvious to you by now).

I believe that this is what you should review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifwz7vxm4Mc

Simple steps

1. Colors menu > Auto > White Balance
2. Colors menu > Invert

See how that works for you.

To fine tune, Colors menu > Levels > select Black Point or White Point control and click on image where you know the spot is truly white or black and Levels will adjust (or use the Auto Levels control to have it calculate based on the total image).

Guy