From: Liam R E Quin [mailto:liam holoweb net]
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2021 2:39 PM
To: William; gimp-user-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Rescuing old color negatives

On Mon, 2021-04-19 at 13:24 +0200, William wrote:

I want to rescue old color negative 35mm film strips by inverting
them to a color positive that I can print on a color laser printer.

The negatives have an orange cast which inverts to monochrome blue. I
tried some other invert options and could not get a printable photo.

Without seeing an example i'm a little in the dark, sir, but you could
try:

1. open an image
2. under the Colours menu, try Linear invert

If that doesn't work OK, you can then try Colours->levels and press
Auto Input Levels and see if that helps.

If not, method B:
1. open an image.
2. click on the Filters menu, and under Generic choose GEGL Operation
3. in the Gegl Operation dialog box, there's pop-up menu with a huge
long list of choices; it's  sorted alphabetically, and you want
Negative Darktoom (negative darkroom).

Now in here you can try adjusting the sliders, especially the top four.

But i am guessing, as i have not seen the image.

Is there a download PDF user handbook or tutorial?

There is a lot of Help text for GIMP, although Negative Darkroom is
pretty new and might not yet be documented.

Liam

--
Liam Quin -  https://www.fromoldbooks.org/

Full-time slave in voluntary servitude