Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP Version 2.8.16

But Kenny,

You do not have to go back to 2.8 to get back the old user interface.

'Edit > Preferences > Interface > Theme / Icon Theme' will give you
legacy options.

Alex

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 2:46 AM Kenny Mann <kenny mann mal gmail com> wrote:

I don't have the skills to compile GIMP from
<https://download.gimp.org/mirror/pub/gimp/v2.8/gimp-2.8.22.tar.bz2>

The new interface in GIMP 2.10 is a problem somewhat unique to me. I have a neurological disorder.
Navigating anything -- walking to the grocery store and back, traveling by trains, buses, airplanes,
sometimes even finding the kitchen in my house -- is dependent on life-long-learned tricks that are based
in objective visible familiarity. This neural disorder is worsening.

After using Photoshop since v. 2.2, I've been using GIMP 2.8 in Linux Mint 17 and 18 for years. I work in
GIMP 2.8 for hours every day. Samples: <https://nowvthen.tumblr.com/archive> No prob.

The threshold for gaining use of GIMP 2.10 would take unknown weeks of mostly failure, due to the lack of
neural mapping I have for the interface. Read: It looks only similar to anyplace I've ever been and it's a
place I have no readable map for. To me, the (neural) map has blots that most people will easily read in
the GIMP 2.10 interface as easily recognizable information.

The app manager in Mint 20 will only install GIMP 2.10 -- and <https://www.gimp.org/downloads/> has only a
button for a flatpack of GIMP 2.10

GIMP 2.8 is available to install from the app manager in Mint 18.

For now, I can boot a drive that's fully set up in Mint 18 with GIMP 2.8. I can use that for as long as it
hasn't gotten corrupted on my computer. I can do a fresh install of Mint 18 for as long as that version is
supported. I'd like to get ahead on having a fresh OS install. Becoming cognizant of GIMP 2.10 would be a
big delay. At my age, that's real iffy.

I've been doing okay with Mint 20 -- having spent weeks making the Cinnamon version appear as much like
Mint 18 Cinnamon as possible.

Which will hold on longer -- Mint 18/GIMP 2.8 or me? Should I spend that time mapping-out a new territory
or do I get to keep working along the road that has what I need to recognize where I am?

Legacy is something that app developers have a long harsh history of overlooking. (Among others, I once
worked closely with Apple Newton developers, for instance. <sigh> May Steve rest in peace.) Viable
available legacy is important. We're all legacy, sooner or later.