Re: [Gimp-user] Recommendation on GIMP

I am not a developer but a translator nevertheless I feel that I can answer to
some of the questions here.

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 01:07:06PM +0000, yang junjie via gimp-user-list wrote:
Dear GIMP developer, Hello, I am an amateur designer who loves GIMP
very much, I used to think that adobe photoshop was irreplaceable until I
came across GIMP, however, over time I am a bit disappointed with the
current development of GIMP, which may make you angry, but I still feel
the need to say something, please forgive the offense. Here are a few
points I'd like to make about my expectations and views on GIMP

Ok

First of all, GIMP is no worse than Photoshop in terms of image
processing,

good to hear that!

but in terms of memory footprint and speed, it's a lot worse,
and I understand that, so I'm not complaining too much about it, but I
think it can be optimized.

yes, and I am confident that it will improve over time...

Secondly, from what I understand, GIMP is almost two decades old, which
results in extremely old code, so many new features can be very difficult
to add, especially non-destructive edits and multi-selected layers, which
should be in the underlying layer.

GIMP devs did a great deal of rebuild in the last 5 years or so,
therefore they already did what you are suggesting to do here. The devs
was sooooo able to maintain the good old look and feel but really, GIMP
is a new beast now!

So, I think GIMP developers, you can really try to rebuild GIMP again,
because his code is so old, and as far as I know migrating from GTK2.0 to
GTK3.0 is no less difficult than a rewrite.

In my understanding, the non-destructive edit is a very ground floor
thing, he's like the foundation of a house, and the current GIMP is the
equivalent of a house already built, but the foundation is very shaky
because he lacks the most core of functional non-destructive edits!

I think non-destructive editing is essential for image processing
because no one wants their workflow to be a destructive one, the same
goes for layer multi-selection, there is a lot of logic to GIMP's work
that is beyond my comprehension, and there is a deep meaning to it, but
he does cause me great distress in my day-to-day experiences, such as the
floating selection feature, where a new layer pops up a new window, and I
think these are all things that can greatly consume the time we spend
working.

As I said above, devs already did what you are suggesting. Guess what?
One of the goals of this overhaul is to enable non-destructive edit in
GIMP!

So re-build one and refine these features as an underlying layer so
that you can better refine this great software! The refactoring doesn't
mean it kills the software, I think it means the rebirth of the software,
and you can see how much BLENDER is refreshed after the refactoring, as I
think GIMP can do!

... there are some news coming soon, I don't want to spoil the surprise
but, stay tuned!

[...]

--

Saluton,