Re: [Gimp-user] Fw: GIMP 2.8.16 on VDI Platform

On 5/12/20 9:02 PM, B. Jack via gimp-user-list wrote:

I'll just add to this that GIMP is also not under the GNU Affero
Pulbic License [APL] (GIMP is vanilla GPL), and thus the Affero's
consideration of access via a networked service (ie: VDI) as
dissemination of the software, which would restrict this particular
use case, does not apply.

Even if GIMP was distributed under the terms of the GNU AGPL, there is this

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.en.html#section13

"Notwithstanding any other provision of this License, if you modify the
Program, your modified version must prominently offer all users
interacting with it remotely through a computer network (if your version
supports such interaction) an opportunity to receive the Corresponding
Source of your version by providing access[...]"

and this

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#AGPLv3InteractingRemotely

"If the program is expressly designed to accept user requests and send
of programs that would fall into this category include web and mail
servers, interactive web-based applications, and servers for games that
are played online.

If a program is not expressly designed to interact with a user through a
network, but is being run in an environment where it happens to do so,
then it does not fall into this category. For example, an application is
not required to provide source merely because the user is running it
over SSH, or a remote X session."

So unless we claim that GIMP is a network-based image editor (and I
doubt that the current Script-Fu server really qualifies to support that
claim), this would still not give us a handle to prevent this use case -
it would only possibly guarantee access to modified source code, but I'd
find even that doubtful due to the answer to that FAQ.

If it should provide us with such handles, then I do not see how, and,
it would be good if you could point out the relevant sections of the GNU
AGPL and/or FAQ entries.

--
Regards,
Michael