Re: [Gimp-user] overlay image in Gimp 2.8.16 ?

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 12:16 AM Dave Stevens wrote:

I routinely use the gimp for simple things and now want to use it to add
an image (image 2) to a background. I have modified the new image so
that its background is transparent. I have saved it as both a jpg
and .xcf. I have an existing .jpg image that I want to use as the base
layer with image2 on top. I see conceptually how to do this but am
basically lost in the layers dialogs.

I want to add image2 to the existing image then export the merged image
as a jpg. The online tutorials I've been able to find are either
outdated or apply to some other platform/version.

I'm using Linux Mint 18.3. Will rtfm if pointed to one or a tutorial
would be useful too.

Hi Dave,

I feel a little lost in the description of what you are trying to
achieve, but the general principle is:

1. Open your background layer.
2. 'File > Open as Layer' for the image that will be on top.
3. 'File > Export As' to export to JPG.

If, for some reason, your background layer ends up on the very top,
drag it towards the bottom or use the button that is shaped like an
arrow pointing down.

Alex