Re: [Gimp-user] High precision color picker

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 9:23 PM Elliott Balsley wrote:

I would strongly advise using the Pixel option instead. It gives
exactly the precision of the actual pixel data.

So if the image is 16-bit float, this will yield
(0,014557;0,053680;0,827148) for what is (32;66;235) in RGB. That
should be precise enough :)

Hi.  This sounds promising. Can you please explain what you mean by "the
pixel option" ?  How can I enter values like this?  I would actually prefer
16-bit integer, but float could work too.

Wait, are we talking about color picker which is a tool for picking
colors from images or a color selector dialog when you tell GIMP what
color to use for foreground and/or background?

If it's color picker, you can choose the Pixel option in the drop-down
list that's in the top right corner of the canvas. In that case,
channel values will be displayed in whatever pixel format your image
is in: 8-bit int, 16-bit int/float, or 32-bit int/float.

If it's color selection dialog (e.g. what you get when you
double-click on the foreground color in the toolbox), then your only
option to get better precision right now is to switch from 0.255 to
0..100 at the top of the dialog. That will yield a 0..100 range with
one decimal. Not nearly as precise as a full 16-bit int range, I know.

Alex