Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP 2.10 .xcf files can't open in GIMP 2.8

On Wed, 2020-12-02 at 13:00 -0500, Techno wrote:

Well, it's good that I can pass the version 2.8 files to 2.10. I just
have to plan which way something's going carefully.

When you do Save As in 2.10, you'll see the bottom of the dialogue
gives you the chance to save with "slower but better compression", and
if you hover there you get a list of 2.10 features you are using that
prevent 2.8 from interpreting the file.

The least obvious is probably layer modes - you will need to switch
each layer back to the legacy layer modes by clicking on the icon just
to the right of the layer mode drop down.

The most obvious is probably that 2.8 is limited to 8-bit per channel
encoding (precision).

So if you go through and remove new features you can save for 2.8, but
of course this may affect the appearance of the image.

ankh

slave ankh on IRC