Re: [Gimp-user] Downloading Images from Internet

On Wed, 2019-09-04 at 09:25 +0200, Cozy wrote:
I use Windows 10.  Recently updated to GIMP 2.10.12.  I search for
an image online, then use right mouse click to get to "Save Image
As" option.  When I select this option, the window pops up for me
to name the file, but the only "Save As Type" option I get is GIMP
2.10.12.

Windows is telling lies :) since GIMP is a program, not a file type.
The Mac used to have this brokenness too, mabe still does. It's still
saving the file in its native format (JPEG, PNG, whatever).

I hate this so bad, I think of dumping Gimp.

You'd have this with any program that registered itself with Windows as
the default handlers for images on your system. Did the installer ask
if you wanted to do this? Maybe it needs to make the implications of
saying "yes" much clearer.

Dump Microsoft Windows :) but in th emeantime you can change the file
associations i think (i'm a Linux user, so i'm not certain how to do
this in Windows, sorry).

  I will never buy another windows
product...never.... so sick of someone else deciding they know what I
want to do, and going ahead and doing it  :(

The idea of librea/free software is that _you_ own your own files, and
_you_ decide what happens. Of course, it's not necessarily easy to
change the way software works, but at least with GIMP it's possible.

You could at least file a bug against GIMP's installer for Windows and
say that it needs to explain the step where it sets up GIMP to be the
default handler for images; this is done so that if you double-click a
JPEG image it opens in GIMP, for example.

slave ankh
Click here to have the slave beaten.