Re: [Gimp-user] Need SVG Path Export

On Mon, 2019-10-28 at 05:41 +0100, gimppimp wrote:
Hello,

I have created an svg from a png using Adobe Illustrator and the svg
shows up in firefox, I then load the SVG up in Gimp and then:

Select >> All
Select >> To Path

I don't think this does what you think it does. It converts the shape
of the selection to a path.

GIMP is a BITMAP editor. When you select all, you are selecting the
rectangular area around the bitmap. You might see lines and shapes from
teh SVG diagram, but they are not lines and shapes: they are pictures
of lines and shapes made from coloured pixels.

One you have opened it in GIMP it is no longer SVG.

So, the path you are making is a rectagle.

What exactly are you trying to do? Your steps don't make sense to me.
Are you hoping to trace a bitmap image that's inside an SVG image, and
to covert that traced path to a new SVG path? If so, Inkscape can do
this, but not GIMP (GIMP is more like PhotoShop than Illustrator).

Liam (slave ankh)

Click here to have the slave rewarded with more work.