Re: [Gimp-user] How to optimize this workflow

On 10/17/19 6:29 PM, Helmut Jarausch via gimp-user-list wrote:
I copy paste my image into this new image, move the floating selection
exactly to the left (which is quite tedious to do exactly)

Use "File>Open as layers" to load the image over the grey background
image. This will likely be faster (and the image will be aligned to the
left).

Or when you have loaded your square image, use "Image>Canvas size", and
increase the width (you can just add "*7/5" at the end of the width,
Gimp will compute the value). Then you add a background layer.

"View>Snap to canvas edges" is also useful to align layers with the
image sides.