Re: [Gimp-user] How to optimize this workflow

On 18 Oct 2019, at 03:29, Helmut Jarausch via gimp-user-list <gimp-user-list gnome org> wrote:

I have a dumb photo lab (which offers very good prints with a new Canon printer).
They offer prints of size 7in x 5in.
I have several images which are quadratic in size. Now I have to "fill" my image with a (say) grey area
left to it.

What I do:

1. Open image in GIMP
2. Select Image/Canvas Size
3. Enter something like width 700 and height 500 in the size boxes, and then click the link icon to lock the
aspect ratio. Then enter the true height of your image in the Height box.
4. Use Offset settings or Center button to align your image on the canvas as required.
5. Choose Resize Layers, All layers. Choose Fill With, Background Colour (or whatever).
6. Click Resize.

I create a new image (filled with grey 868686) with the same height but a  width of height x 7 / 5
I copy paste my image into this new image, move the floating selection exactly to the left (which is quite
tedious to do exactly)

If you want to align a layer with the edges of your canvas, or centre it on the canvas horizontally or
vertically, take a look at the Alignment tool (it’s in the default toolbox, at least on my OS/X download).