[Gimp-user] Failed to open NEF files on Ubuntu

I've checked everything as in the video that you shared in your
previous
message. Everything is the same. My Ubuntu version is  18.04.3.
I installed GIMP from Ubuntu Software. I did not know it was snap
version or
not. What do you mean by saying sandboxed? Can't I take this situation
back?
Will it be a solution to delete and reinstall GIMP?

This is a problem for beginners to linux and also Ubuntu. Linux is more
'hands-on' than Windows.

The 'default' Gimp for ubuntu 18.04 (bionic) is Gimp 2.8.22 You saw something in
the (dumbed down) ubuntu software center that said Gimp 2.10? That gets you a
'snap' version. Because bionic does not naturally support Gimp 2.10 library
files, all the necessary files are included in the snap 'sandbox' Gimp 2.10 runs
but it is divorced from the rest of bionic files.The RT installation does not
register. Similar installations are 'flatpak' which you will see on www.gimp.org
and a portable Gimp, an 'appimage'.

To get a working Gimp 2.10.14 (present version) for bionic you need to add a
PPA. These are additional repositories provided by individuals giving
applications not normally available in the main ubuntu repositories ( read
repository = software center)

This is a terrible forum for going into details.  You can get a step-by-step
procedure for installing a 'regular' Gimp 2.10 here:

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Gimp-2-10-10-and-Ubuntu-18-04-LTS  This is for
2.10.14 Ask any questions there, I am easier to get hold of.

You will need a better RT. Details for adding the PPA are here:

https://launchpad.net/~dhor/+archive/ubuntu/myway

--
rich404 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)