[Gimp-user] GIMP outputs blurry images, especially to PDF

No matter what settings I use (at least the settings that I am aware of), when I
am outputting a file, the resulting files are blurry and hard to read.

I'm uploading examples so you can see what I mean. In this case I typed up some
nonsense in Word, printed it out and scanned it as a PDF. Then I opened the PDF
in GIMP and made no changes to the file. Finally, I outputted the files as both
a PDF (soft and blurry), and a PNG (okay, but prints out soft and blurry).

If it helps to know this, the original document was scanned at 400x400 black and
white.

How do I fix this problem? I tried inputting the original PDF into GIMP at
various DPIs and it didn't change anything. Am I just using the wrong software
for this sort of thing?

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1132/original/test_page_for_GIMP.pdf
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1133/original/test_page_for_GIMPthroughgimp.png