[Gimp-user] making image background transparent

I am trying to do this and have tried multiple suggestions from the help
doc. I have created a new layer but it doesn't seem to be for the
background and I can't use it for anything. I have used the foreground
selection tool but can't do anything with that. And I can't turn it off! I
opened the dockable dialog feature but couldn't get anywhere that way. I
tried Layer-Transparency-Add Alpha Channel but when I hit delete it just
deleted the whole image. I tried a forum or two but no replies and I can't
remember which one(s) they were anyway. Are there any recommended forums
for new GIMP users? I posted my question on the GIMP Facebook page but no
reply. I even emailed the webmasters and nothing! I switched to GIMP
because my old Photoshop program quit working. But GIMp seems to be just as
overwhelmingly confusing for a casual user like me and Adobe had a much
more direct way of getting help from their forums. Help!

--
*Willard Hine *

10751 Meadowglen, Apt. 13, Houston, TX, 77042
713-266-6518
javagod3000 gmail com
Writer Site <https://javagod3000.wixsite.com/willard-hine-writer>