[Gimp-user] New image too large?

Thanks for your reply. Looking at the other thread that you pasted
here, I see I'm out of my depth. I'm only a dumb artist and don't have
a lot of tech savvy, usually flying by the seat of my pants. The main
point that you made, if I understand it, is that Gimp makes an
assumption that I'm going to use a lot more data than I necessarily
intend to, what with layers, stacks, etc. and that I don't really have
to take the size warning too seriously, am I right? I do notice that
it still allows me to open the image space. My only worry is that if I
go to save a file that it says is outside its size limitations, am I
going to have a problem?

You always need to be careful with large Gimp / very-many-layers images.  The
usual advice for any application. Make frequent backups,. no automatic back-up
in Gimp at the moment, so it is up to you to Save-As at intervals.

I have seen horror stories about work lost. Sometimes wonder though. A hurried
save - close Gimp - shut down.  When saving there is a progress indication
bottom of the main window. Give Gimp time to Save.

--
rich404 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)