Re: [Gimp-user] Opening raw images in GIMP

LOL

It pays to make no assumptions about folks one meets online (in forums,
Twitter, etc.)

Rick Kline
Data Manager (ret.) <-- !
Spacecraft Planetary Imaging Facility, Cornell University <-- !!!!

Indeed :-)

I followed Stave Liam's method and it does mostly work (using Emily
Lakdawalla's test image I saw mostly what she sees in her Photoshop process
though there is "missing" data--you'll see what I mean if you do this).
Biggest issue is that GIMP, as she says, makes assumptions about data
encoding and the only options in the GIMP open dialog where you specify
information about the image provides no options that seem relevant to the
way the data is encoded in the .img file.

Liam mentions G'MIC and you may have more success there. It, like GIMP, is
free and, more importantly, it has far more options related to image data
content (it's written by imaging data scientists for use in manipulating
scientific image data). And it's scriptable already! A steep learning curve
for someone like me with no background in such things, but for you and your
background it may be just what you're looking for (and I can attest that
G'MIC developers are veyr nice people who are approachable if you have
questions). If you're comfortable with a command line (and I can't imagine
you are not given your background) G'MIC may save you a fair bit of time.

Regards,

GuyS

Guy Stalnaker
jimmyg521 gmail com