Re: [Gimp-user] Batch Image Manipulation, it's time to implement it in GIMP

On 1/8/19 8:23 AM, Micha1982 wrote:
Hi all,
BIMP does not work with Gimp 2.10 and it is not possible to do a batch
resize of images.

This is pretty unacceptable in 2018 from a program of such a great
quality.

Is there someone working on this feature?
Isn't it time to include this feature in the official gimp without the
needs of extensions or plugins?

Thanks,
Davide
Completely agree! Gimp is horrible regarding batch-functionality! I try around
since hours...still without success.

GIMP has built in batch editing through the command line, see here
(https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Basic_Batch/).

- Kasim Ahmić

@Kasim: commandline and Script-FU and all that stuff is so 1990....we have
2019.

I have been writing code since the 1970's. I've seen numerous attempts to replace code written in a text editor by code generated by clicking in graphical interfaces, possibly under the assumption that this could be used by non-programmers and therefore get rid of that costly programmers clique. These attempts all fell in two categories, those that utterly failed and those that ended up used only by programmers.

Programming isn't writing code. Programming is finding the point of view that makes things simple (at least, as simple as possible). Programming is knowing how to sense problems and code around them. Programming is knowing how to debug your creation, because it rarely works on the first try.

This is 2019. A couple of months ago, I was helping teenage kids "program" Lego Mindstorm robots in a science fair. It's all graphical, you connect little boxes to start motors, react to sensor events, etc... All kids started a program and when the robot crashed and burned they couldn't imagine what to try to figure out what the problem was. I had to tell them. These kids were intelligent, once I gave them a few hints they could move forward, but they couldn't come up all by themselves with the right way to do it.

Back to Gimp & Bimp. If I give you a GUI where you can do more than the really trivial stuff which is best done with ImageMagick, you won't be able to use it efficiently without acquiring a programmer's mindset. And once you have done so you discover that you can learn Python in a couple of hours, and that you are more efficient with it than with a GUI.

As we were saying in the 80s: "Command-line stuff. This is so 1950..."

PS: The tutorial referred to by Kasim dates back to Gimp 2.4... so it's at least 10 years old...