[Gimp-user] Binary Search Zoom?

Hello all,

I did quite a bit of googling and couldn't find the answer to this.
Can you control zoom percentage of an image with script-fu? It looks
like some folks asked this question on gimptalk.org, but their server
is down and it's not on archive.org.

What I'd like to do is speed up the zooming of an image to life scale.
The images are at wildly inconsistent DPI but with a tape measure in
the photo for scale. Right now we use manual binary search, but I'd
like to add some automation by binding three keys to scripts - one key
to press when the image is too large, one to press when it's too
small, and another to press if you make a mistake and want to go back
one step. Maybe a fourth to reset the search altogether.

It would require the ability to control zoom, and also the script
would need to know the current boundaries of the search each time it's
called. Since script-fu supports global variables I think the second
part wouldn't be a problem.

I tried using a formula to measure dpi and zoom to scale, but I found
it still required fine-tuning manually, and it was just as fast to do
a binary search the whole way.

These old gimp forums gimptalk.com, gimpforums.com...etc dead because owner
abandoned / not maintained / only contain spam.

This is not the best forum for your question, it is linked to a mailing list
which is unlikely to help. I can think of one actual gimpusers.com forum member
here that might give scripting advice.

There are other forums, even reddit might get you somewhere. You have some very
definite requirements, not too sure what you mean by a manual binary search,
presumably looking at images to determine matching areas.

Using a tape measure to determine a scale? Depends on the images but you can do
the same (perhaps with sufficient accuracy) with a path and in Gimp 2.10 using
the handle transform tool. Easier scaling-down, but scaling-up is possible with
some canvas resizing.

best of luck.

--
rich404 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)