Re: [Gimp-user] Converting from indexed to RGB modes; brush color off

On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 11:42 PM Gary Aitken <gimp dreamchaser org> wrote:
I don't know if this is intentional or not; I would have thought that if
the original color index map is not full, using a new color would add it
to the map, but apparently not.

What you are suggesting; to add the directly chosen color of the
paintbrush/pencil tool, if there is empty slots in the palette would
not conflict with this and be a nice addition - filing an issue
against GIMP in gitlab.gnome.org to keep it from being forgotten might
be a good idea. It would have to be only the directly selected
foreground color though and not its antialiased results with various
background pixels which would be ohter colors implicity attempted to
be inserted. Since the more complete port to babl/GEGL with 2.10 GIMP
is no longer special casing INDEXED/GRAYSCALE mode from RGB. This
meant as new features we gained anti-aliasing for the paintbrush in
indexed mode, ability to blur and do other filters; as well as
anti-aliased results when merging down layers/text-layers - this would
quickly exhaust the free slots in the palette if all attempted to be
used colors were added (checking if the current foreground color is
part of the palette before starting a new stroke is also a more
feasible code change than always dynamically growin the palette).

/pippin