[Gimp-user] Despeckling photos

Consider a black speckle that's a square 4 pixels wide and high (for
an
example).

The selection goes to the edge of the speckle, all round.

Growing the selection by 2 pixels will make the marching ants meet in
the middle of the speckle - but there are no pixels of it left outside
the selection, it'snow fully selected.

Shrinking the selection won't create holes, so the tiny speckles are
gone.

Experiment using 1 pixel instead of 2, or grow by 2, shrink by 1,
feather by 1 or 2, making sure you don't lose too much detail.

In practice i scan in greyscale, not black and white, so it also
depends on the "threshhold" paraneter in the select-by-colour tool as
to how close the the speckles the selection goes, but i use Curves
first to brighten the hilights somewhat and to darken the shadows. If
you are working with a film rather than something printed in a book,
that may not be appropriate - in that case, it helps to have the image
in Precision 16 integer of 32 floating point (from the Image/Precision
menu) so that you don't lose detail as you work.

Hope this helps,

slave
Thanks.

What should I do if I only have a .jpg file? In other words,there is nothing to
scan. If I remove too many speckles it looks fake.

--
Gimp_Noob (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)