[Gimp-user] selecting object

Going back

quote - I'm sure this is a very basic question, but I have an object on a
checkered background (transparency?) but I can't get rid of the checkered
background. Is there a simple way to do so?

The chequer pattern is often used to denote transparency. Best leave as is in
Gimp but if you want to change to something else, say white, then use Edit ->
Preferences -> Display and under Transparency change the Check style.

quote -  I've just noticed that the transparency object that is working for me
is a png file, and the ones that won't work are jpegs

Not all image formats support transparency, Save as a Gimp .xcf and keep
transparency, Export as png, tif, psd, bmp  keeps transparency.

Jpeg is a principally a  photographic format. Does not need transparency. Any
transparency in your image is replaced by the current background colour.

--
rich404 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)