Re: [Gimp-user] saving DDS files

On 8/3/2019 02:18, Sorceress99 wrote:
First your 'transparent' png.

Go to Layer -> Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel  and if that is
'greyed-out'
then the image has transparency. (You can also see in the layers
dialogue, a
layer **without** an alpha channel has a ** bold**  layer name)

I will attach your image in what I think it should look like, as a
Gimp xcf
image and a screenshot comparison of a DXT viewer showing the exported
dds file.

I did a bit of digging and found this about SkyRim.
https://kasprutz.tumblr.com/post/126812437384/dds-format-guide-for-skyrim.
No
Gimp mentioned but it looks like BC3 / DXT5 should be OK.

However there is a PDF on the subject here that advises Alpha Exponent
(DXT5)
for quality
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-How-To-Use-The-Gimp-DDS-Plugin?pid=6196#pid6196
right at the end of the PDF.

Sorry I can not be much help but again I am not into those game
graphics and I
appreciate that most information is written for PS users.

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1227/original/dds.jpg
*
https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1228/original/original.xcf
Appreciate the input. I am enjoying the new Gimp2.10.12 much better than 2.8.
Much more versatile and supports DDS files. As i mentioned earlier, I am a
newbie with DDS files so much to learn. Mostly I aimed at retexuring armor and
clothing. I want to take images from the net and convert them to DDS. Lof of
images of lace that I want to use without losing the depth of color or
sharpness. I did manage to convert a beautiful blue lace thru trial an error and
It worked nice. But I cant remember how I did it so I know Gimp can do what I
want. Most everyone I know uses Adobe and getting them to help can be an arduous
process so I am hoping to be able to do for myself. Thanks again for you help.

It's been a few years since I worked with DXT5.  I always saved my source image data in tiff files as they seem to be easiest to manipulate.  The thing with DXT5 is that the compression breaks your image into blocks and stores info about the colors and alpha in each block.  There's only a few bits of alpha data per block so if you are starting with 8-bit RGBA image it could be the alpha has too much gradient and info is lost in the compression.  You might try extracting the alpha to a layer and working with it as a grey-scale layer to experiment on.

scott s.

.