[Gimp-user] saving DDS files

First your 'transparent' png.

Go to Layer -> Transparency -> Add Alpha Channel  and if that is
'greyed-out'
then the image has transparency. (You can also see in the layers
dialogue, a
layer **without** an alpha channel has a ** bold**  layer name)

I will attach your image in what I think it should look like, as a
Gimp xcf
image and a screenshot comparison of a DXT viewer showing the exported
dds file.

I did a bit of digging and found this about SkyRim.
https://kasprutz.tumblr.com/post/126812437384/dds-format-guide-for-skyrim.
No
Gimp mentioned but it looks like BC3 / DXT5 should be OK.

However there is a PDF on the subject here that advises Alpha Exponent
(DXT5)
for quality
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-How-To-Use-The-Gimp-DDS-Plugin?pid=6196#pid6196
right at the end of the PDF.

Sorry I can not be much help but again I am not into those game
graphics and I
appreciate that most information is written for PS users.

Attachments:
* https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1227/original/dds.jpg
*
https://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/1228/original/original.xcf

Appreciate the input. I am enjoying the new Gimp2.10.12 much better than 2.8.
Much more versatile and supports DDS files. As i mentioned earlier, I am a
newbie with DDS files so much to learn. Mostly I aimed at retexuring armor and
clothing. I want to take images from the net and convert them to DDS. Lof of
images of lace that I want to use without losing the depth of color or
sharpness. I did manage to convert a beautiful blue lace thru trial an error and
It worked nice. But I cant remember how I did it so I know Gimp can do what I
want. Most everyone I know uses Adobe and getting them to help can be an arduous
process so I am hoping to be able to do for myself. Thanks again for you help.

--
Sorceress99 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)