[Gimp-user] Background Removal

Thank you very much for the help. The image was given to me by a friend. It was
pulled from a search engine. Re-scanning was not an option. I'm not exactly what
you would call a GIMP "power user". I'm familiar with most of the basic
functions but that's about it. I spent quite a while trying to find the right
tutorial. I would probably still be pulling my hair out if you hadn't created
the post.

Looks like a scan, if possible rescan with a dark card background
rather than the scanner white cover.

You probably found that the usual fuzzy / color select does not work
too well, neither does making a mask using threshold.

Back to bad-old-ways using the image in indexed mode. Does not work
with all images but will with your map.

Two and a half minute demo:  https://youtu.be/BNYz9oYwKwI

--
Gimp_Noob (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)