Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP SWAP Folder not honored

Hi!

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 11:33 AM stormy <forums gimpusers com> wrote:

Hi,
Do you have any link for developers so that we know where to look for
regarding this SWAP settings?

I'm not sure what you mean by "link", the "SWAP Folder" is a GIMP feature,
it is
located in EDIT->Preferences, then scroll down to FOLDERS, there are two
options
one "Temporary folder" and other is "Swap folder".

Oh sorry. I thought this was some OS settings where you could configure
where programs should cache their data by default.

Anyway I opened a bug report on our side:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/2224

Jehan

Does it go to one or the other? I'm sure it does the right thing, but
doubt that it randomly use one folder or another at different runs,
right?

It never went to the location I set in the actual preferences dialog,
instead it
went into one or the other locations , that depended on the
cleanup/reinstall
sequence i took (did this many times), but once it chose a location , it
kept
using it for the duration of that install cycle.. if i were to cleanup and
reinstall, it might choose the other location, but, never the one
specified in
the prefs.

special case the cache directory for this OS. If you tell us more
about
this SWAP settings on Windows (and in particular what we have to look
for?

I'm talking about GIMP's internal swap, not windows swap.  I'm just an
end-user,
do not know how gimp uses this 'swap' :)

Is there an API to know this folder? An env variable), this would
help.

Maybe there is an env var, I just used the GUI interface to try and
relocate the
swap to a drive with more space.

Also what is the proper default cache folder expected on Windows if
none
were explicitly set?

I guess this is OK:

c:\Users\myuser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\gegl-0.4

as for a default, or leave it like today, to choose based on some other
window's
specific logic.

Please when you answer, mention me explicitly (I have filters) so that
don't miss your answer.
Thanks.

Jehan

hopefully you see this Jehan :)