Re: [Gimp-user] opening a geotiff query

On 11/5/2018 01:40, marbles wrote:
Hi,

I have a geotiff file. Can gimp open it, allow me to view it as greyscale
terrrain and export as bmp?

Thanks

It's been a long time since I worked with geotiffs in Gimp, but my experience was that it opens the file like any other tiff format, but you lose all the metadata. Though since you are exporting as bmp,
maybe that doesn't matter in this use case?  In my case I had utilities
that could extract the metadata and then restore it into "normal" tiff
format files that I exported out of Gimp.

scott s.
.