[Gimp-user] Drawing and text not working

I just installed the newest version of GIMP on my Windows 10 computer.  When I
draw with a brush, pencil, pen, etc, as I am dragging my mouse there is no
visual representation of the line I am making. Only when I release the button on
my mouse after reaching the end point of the line, the entire line appears all
at once.  Also, when I make a text box, at first the box does not appear. I will
drag the mouse to create a text box and nothing happens, but when I type some
text, suddenly the box appears. Also the box does not have the same appearance
as I have seen in online tutorials, where on each corner of the box there is a
square for you to drag and change the shape of the box. I am familiar with how
layers work and that certain operations are restricted on certain layers. I
don't believe that is the source of this problem. I have searched for solutions
online and not found any report of this kind of problem elsewhere. Please help.

--
Clearerwill (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)