Re: [Gimp-user] Unified Transform issues

On 05/31/18 04:43, BWK wrote:
Good day

I love the new uniform transform tool in Gimp 2.10. I do aerial photo overlays
and it makes the number of steps needed to bring a different aerial photo over
the top of an existing one, much faster.

However there have been some challenges which may or may not be an incomplete
implementation at this time or perhaps some bug in the software.

More than once after completing the preview alignment I have forgotten to click
the Transform button and gone on to another step and then discovered there is no
way of getting back to transform. While you are in the transform preview you can
undo specific steps, but as soon as you have gone out of the transform then
there is no way of going back into the transform and retrieving it. Looking
through the undo list none of those transform preview steps are in the undo
list. As soon as you would accidentally go out of the transform tool it
evidently just dumps all the individual steps.

I think the transform preview steps need to be included in the undo list all the
time, not just when you are actually setting up a transform, because it is so
easy to accidentally click the wrong thing and hey, it's just dumped all the
stuff you did and you have to start again.

I believe that one of the design  points of the Unified Transform is that there is actually one single transform taking place in the end which is a Good Thing. All these transforms interpolate pixels and therefore slightly degrade the image. In other words the result of Scale, then Rotate is not as clean as the result of a combined Scale+Rotate, because you interpolate pixels twice in the former and only once in the latter.