[Gimp-user] Crop to specific size (inches or centimeters)

What am I doing wrong? I'm obviously missing or not understanding
something. I've been using Gimp for a long time but this is the first
time I've had to crop to a print size that isn't something like 8x10,
etc.

What are you doing wrong. Just about everything. Once again, a reminder. Gimp is
a raster editor that works in pixels, not inches, not centimetres, - works in
pixels.

You have an image 2000x1333 @ 72 ppi Here is one:
https://i.imgur.com/PwGstOR.jpg If you open Image -> Print size with inch units
it will print about 28x18.5 inches. The size is still 2000x1333 pix.

You did not really scale that to 300x200 pix did you? That was a typo in hope.

If this is going to print, now is the time to set the print resolution, say 300
ppi. The image size is still 2000x1333 pix: https://i.imgur.com/Sgo7pUa.jpg

Now you can crop the image. Gimp will use your 1.75:1.5 or if you prefer 7:6
https://i.imgur.com/uBNcUZd.jpg

Look at the top of Gimp and the image size is now 1329x1139 pix Go back to Image
-> Print size and the size for printing is about 4.4 x 3.8 inches:
https://i.imgur.com/jIuCnRk.jpg

Now is the time for scaling. Go to image -> Scale image set the width/height to
1.75 x 1.5 inches leave the resolution at 300 ppi.
https://i.imgur.com/GDuVrca.jpg and ok that.

That gives an image 525x450 pix which at 300 ppi will print 1.75 x 1.5 inches.
Set the rulers to suit as: https://i.imgur.com/3gOz87S.jpg

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

--
rich404 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)