[Gimp-user] GIMP 2.10 TIFF EXIF metadata stripped on Windows 10

This is getting stranger...

I'm away from home right now, since last night, & using GIMP 2.10 on my laptop -
Win 10, once again. I can't reproduce the problem on this machine. I thought it
might be to do with the fact that the original tiff files I was playing with on
my desktop at home were Black & White, but I just tried with B/W (and colour)
tiffs from the same photo scanner here on my laptop: all seems ok.

I'll have another look on my desktop machine when I get home next week.

Thanks for the reply.

I start off with .tif files which have EXIF (and other) metadata
within them - as added by my photo scanner, photo library software
(Synology's Photo Station) and/or from ExifTool - Original & create
dates; User note; copyright, GPS, various tags. These are all present
and displayed in ExifToolGUI. As soon as I open the .tif file in GIMP
2.10 and go... Image -> Metadata -> View Metadata, nothing is shown.
When I then export the modified image as a .tif and check it with
ExifToolGUI, all the metadata has been stripped out.

If I try this starting with a similar .jpg file, the metadata is
displayed correctly in GIMP. Exporting an orginal .jpg as a .jpg
preserves the EXIF metadata correctly, as does exporting it as a TIFF.

I do have the settings to export all the metadata types in Edit ->
Preferences -> Image Import & Export, but it looks to me like the
metadata is being stripped out on opening the TIFF file in GIMP and
not during the export.

However - taking this a step further - If I start with a ,jpg that
contains metadata; open it in GIMP; export it as a .tif, close &
re-start GIMP (not sure if this bit is relevant); open the .tif file I
just created from the original .jpg, then the metadata is preserved.

I'm wondering of there's some strange formatting of my original .tif
files that GIMP is struggling with?

--
MartinFa (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)