[Gimp-user] Transparent gifs?

Heya everyone! I'm totally new here so sorry if this is in the wrong place but I
need some heeeelp! You should know that I'm very, very new at image manipulation
so please explain things to me as if I'm a toddler <3!

So I'm trying to animate a gif using GIMP.

I have a circle with a little drawing inside, everything else is transparent. I
have several of these that I want to cycle through but obviously when I layer
them on top of each other, because of the transparency, all the layers below
show through.

Is there any way for me to keep the transparency, so that when I post the image
online I won't have an ugly, white  background while also cycling through each
image correctly?

I've attached two images to give you a better idea of what I'm currently seeing!
Thanks so much for everyone's help and again, sorry if this is the wrong place
to post this!

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/913/original/Capture1.PNG
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/914/original/Capture2.PNG