[Gimp-user] Placing one image to a background

Hello Everyone,

New here and nice to be a part of the community.   I've just recently
started/trying to use gimp and I have a main criteria that I have found
difficult to implement and needs serious solving.

Basically, I just need to cut a part of an image and place it into another
image.

The base image is a product that I would need to place in the second image which
is a colorless light background.

Problem is the base product image has a shadow which I would wish to keep when I
transfer it to the background image and I want to make it look like the original
without any shadow distortions.

I have attached the product image and the background image.

Is there anyone there that can help and possibly show a solution?

Greatly appreciated.

Attachments:
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/850/original/IMG_8478.JPG
* http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/851/original/Background.jpg