[Gimp-user] Best way to fix background pic so text is readable

I just made a snipping tool screen copy of it. that's not the real
image, which is 300 dpi. Can I point to the whitish rock color and
match that color? So would I need to touch up the black text if I was
careful not to accidentally color it?

That will be better. Even better if the text is on a separate layer? Assuming
that it is not.

You can isolate the text by selecting it, then inverting the selection and
painting around it.

Try something like this. Using your jpeg scaled up 400% so a bit fuzzy.

Use the colour select tool and increase the threshold up to maybe 30. Click
inside the black text to select.  see screenshot:
https://i.imgur.com/Ax0FPTk.jpg

Now grow the selection a pixel or 2 to make sure make sure the text outline is
inclusive. screenshot: https://i.imgur.com/JZAyJ5k.jpg

Invert the selection Select -> Invert.

I would use the clone tool to clone in adjacent light areas
https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-clone.html  - not the best description in the
world.

Use a fuzzy brush with suitable size, ctrl-click to select a (light color)
source. Then just paint over the dark area around the text.
https://i.imgur.com/7zSCkMc.jpg The active selection prevents painting out the
text.

You can repeat for the other areas. https://i.imgur.com/bwy3HgJ.jpg choosing a
new clone source for each.

When complete kill the selection Select -> None. You might still have to go in
at high zoom and 'tweak' parts of the text to improve legibility. Depends how
keen you are.

rich: www.gimp-forum.net

--
rich404 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)