Re: [Gimp-user] Precompiled GIMP on macOS does not recognize plugins

On 03/23/18 19:27, Radon Rosborough wrote:
Files in plugins are standalone programs. As such, in OSX as in all
Unixen, they should have the executable bit.
Perhaps this is a misunderstanding of the plug-in format on my part,
but why would the Python scripts be executed as standalone programs?
Wouldn't they be imported by the main GIMP runtime? I can't imagine
how the register() function call would work otherwise. Plus, the
documentation at

     https://www.gimp.org/docs/python/index.html

says

     In fact, you will find that the GIMP-Python scripts start with the
     line !/usr/bin/python . The GIMP extension is loaded with the
     familiar import command.

 From the Resynthesizer issue I linked:

     A better fix [than making the scripts executable] might be for
     someone to fix GIMP itself. This is a long-standing gotcha, as you
     probably found on the mailing list: many people know the issue
     exists and how to solve it. AFAIK, no other app requires python
     scripts to have executable permissions. I could be wrong, maybe
     there is a valid reason GIMP requires it.

Gimp (at least on Unix) doesn't really care what the executables are. Things in the "scripts" subdirectory are scripts and are really loaded by the Gimp script-fu executor, but in "plug-ins" you can have anything that Unix will execute (and at registration time, Gimp will execute them blindly...) . and the binaries have to be marked executable as well, it is not specific to Python...