[Gimp-user] layer mask apply in gimp 2.9.8

Hi,

I have been looking at several tutorials to apply a gradient layer
mask to an image to make it fade to black/background.
On Gimp 2.8.* I can easily reproduce this. However, using the Gimp
2.9.8, when I click on apply layer mask, the fade/gradient disappears.
Can anyone tell me this is a bug or has this technique to be applied
differently in the new version of Gimp ?

Thanks,
Marcus.

Yeah, do not use 'apply layer mask' at least not straight away. Using GEGL and
on canvas display, there are several operations that need a 'enter' to fix them.

Guessing something like this, black background, white **active** layer mask,
white-to-black radial gradient. Drawn in the canvas looks like this. Layer mask
will remain blank

as this: https://i.imgur.com/dkElA36.jpg

When satisfied hit the enter key to confirm the operation, that fixes the
gradient into the layer mask.

as: https://i.imgur.com/z34maPW.jpg

--
rich404 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)