[Gimp-user] Image Capture

Fuzzy select the background? Wrong tool to use for the type of image
you posted. You would use that with a plain colour background.

The example I gave just traces the book outline using the free select
tool, could not be simpler.

There are any number of ways to remove that background. From really
basic  -  just use the eraser tool (carefully) - to probably what I
would use, a layer mask and paint out the background.
I am so happy with you right now. Thank you very, very much. The free select
tool works wonderfully. Wish I could buy you a beer!

--
atticus (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)